Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Item 9 Measures of the Week: Wednesday

3. Wednesday weaving tales

The first day I worked for the peddler
he proclaimed my prowess
in salesmanship, asked my secret.
Leaned in as I looked at him strangely
and replied: Cheerfully bring them what
they ask for, in their size. For some
reason this pissed him off to no
end I'm pretty sure he stiffed me
on commission knowing me too
busy to keep count. He was always
hectoring me about only having one
child, who was I to deny them
siblings he wanted to know. I showed
him, ta, I ended up having three
only children! Still it was a good thing
he didn't pay well enough to live on
or I might still be fetching boxes
and watching people pose
before the three way mirror,
squinting to see if what they picked
might take them where they want to go.
There was something so appealing
watching them chew over the possibilities,
shift forward and back to peek at what
could be. It was the easiest job I ever
had and proof of Wednesdays wiles.
It'll wend you which ever way you
let it being the apex of all tangents,
the sum of the steps so far. Keep
your wits about you or you'll be peddling
someone else's wares and they couldn't
care less about what it means to you
or your little dog too. Don't get lost
in someone else's story. Push off, push
on. Tomorrow's yon.

No comments:

Post a Comment